So you’re brand new to the blogging world and you keep hearing about all these photo editing software to help you create a blog, social media, or pin images, but you have no idea which one is right for you.
In this post, let me guide you through two of the top editing softwares that most bloggers use and help you determine which one is right for your skills and desired editing goals. Let’s start with the basics, what exactly is PicMonkey or Canva, let’s dive in to see!
WHAT IS PICMONKEY?
PicMonkey is a powerful photo editing and design platform that allows for easy creation of images, planners, business cards, YouTube thumbnails, our favorite, Pinterest pins, and more.
What is so great about it, is that you can be a complete novice but end up with professional-looking photos, templates, and more. It is like having a super simplistic version of Photoshop at your fingertips without having the extensive knowledge of all the photo editing it requires.
WHAT IS CANVA?
Canva, like Picmonkey, is also a photo editing design platform in which you can create a variety of items like Zoom backgrounds, lesson plans, planners, Pinterest pins, and more.
Much like PicMonkey, you can end up with some beautiful graphics for your social media needs but thinking of editing some photos, you’ll quickly find it lacking. Think of it this way, utilizing Canva is like a more basic version of Picmonkey when it comes to photo editing but equally up to par in graphic design.
With both companies, you are able to cancel at any time and your account will remain active until your renewal date. Likewise, both have their own apps for a mobile device, which comes in hand for on the go social media posts, and to add in my two cents, I do not recommend either app for Pin design.
Now let’s break apart both companies and see what each one has to offer. Let’s start with Canva.
Canva has three different plan options you can choose from. Each adding on more bonuses.
- 250,000+ free templates
- 100+ design types (social media posts, presentations, letters, and more)
- Hundreds of thousands of free photos and graphics
- Invite members to your team
- Collaborate and comment in real-time
- 5GB of cloud storage
The Pro version is my recommendation out of the 3 plans. It is worth mentioning that you can have up to 5 people in this package and you have access to everything the Free version has plus all the Pro features including their stock photos, which really comes in handy along with many other features, listed below:
- Create 1 Brand Kit and upload your own fonts and logos
- One-click design Magic Resize
- 420,000+ free templates with new designs daily
- 75+ million premium stock photos, videos, audio, and graphics free-to-use
- One-click background remover
- Save designs as templates for your team to use
- 100GB of cloud storage
- Schedule social media content to 7 platforms
This plan will cost you $12.95/month or if billed annually, you can pay $119.40.
This subscription is helpful for those having teams to utilize Canva. This is the recommendation you need if your team is bigger than 5 people, all of this subscription includes everything the Pro has plus lots of teammate juicy goodness like:
- Establish your brand’s visual identity with logos, colors, and fonts across multiple Brand Kits
- Control your team’s access to apps, graphics, colors, logos, and fonts with brand controls
- Control team uploads into Canva
- Built-in workflows to get approval on your designs
- Set which elements your team can edit, and stay on-brand with template locking
- Unlimited storage
- Single-sign on (SSO)
- 24/7 Enterprise-level support
This plan will cost you $30/person or you can contact the sales team and come to agreeable terms.
PicMonkey has a trial version that you can use for free for up to 7 days. After those 7 days, you are able to cancel your account or upgrade to one of their plans.
PicMonkey basic subscription is a lot like Canva’s free version, with a few exceptions, that include:
- Hub Storage: 1GB
- Downloading of images
- Add videos and the ability to trim them (new feature)
- Access to all of their fonts
- Photography Effects, Touch up options, and all templates (these include things like airbrushing, teeth whitening, and more)
- A collaboration of shared folders for team members
This plan will cost you $7.99/month or if billed annually to save 25%, you can pay $72.
The Pro version is the best choice in my opinion, for the reason you have access to iStock by Getty Stock Photos (these are not included in the trail FYI) and that alone can save you money as you do not have to go somewhere else to buy your stock photos. The Pro version includes everything the basic has plus:
- Hub cloud storage is Unlimited
- Instantly reformat to multiple sizes with their Smart Resize (so if you have a blog background image and looking to change it to a Pinterest pin, you can resize it in a quick click)
- Have your brand’s visual identity with logos, colors, and fonts
- One-click background remover (also not available in trail)
- Istock images by Getty
- Priority email support
This plan will cost you $12.99/month or if billed annually to save 23%, you can pay $120.
Again if you have a team and looking to allow them to share, PicMonkey has a team subscription as well. This one includes all of the same goodies as the Pro version with 2 extra bonuses:
- Discount for 3 or more users
- Team seat and permission management
This plan will cost you $33.99 (aka $11.33 per person) or if you like to play annually and save 26%, you can pay $300.
BALLIN’ ON A BUDGET OR BEST BANG FOR YOU BUCK?
If your main concern is saving as much money as possible then the winner by a landslide would be the Canva free version. Canva is very user friendly with minimal photo editing capabilities, they never claim to be the photo editing masters but do really well when it comes to graphic designing.
However, PicMonkey started off as a photo editing software and continues to expand from there. They are really well rounded now and in this writer’s bias opinion have better features and layering capabilities. So, if you are really wanting to get the most out of your experience and be able to customize and fine-tune videos and photos, the winner is Picmonkey without a doubt.